Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What Works in Revision

What are some of your main strategies for revising?
My main strategy for revising is reviewing the mechanics and fluidity of the writing.

What in particular are you doing as you rewrite and develop your writing?
As I rewrite and develop my rough drafts, I begin by looking at the basics: seeking out the nitty gritty, addressing spelling mistakes and grammar errors. I proceed onto rereading the essay, checking for fluidity. I ask myself questions like, "Does this make sense here?" and "Am I making my argument clear or is it getting lost within my thoughts?" Additionally, I read and take into consideration others' constructive criticism. With fluidity and criticisms in mind, I then begin to elaborate on ideas, reorder paragraphs, and add transitions--implementing whatever appropriately fits.

What is helping you most as you rewrite?
I find rereading a written piece out loud to another individual is the most helpful strategy in rewriting. My writing becomes more apparent, to, if not myself, the audience I am reading to, as I uncover whether or not my words sound natural or forced.

What is changing the most in your paper as a result?
As a result of revising, the length of my paper typically changes the most. Adding depth and insight to undeveloped ideas contributes to, not only a larger word count, the overall message I am attempting to communicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment