Monday, October 28, 2013

Daddy, stay strong.

I want you to see me cross the stage and receive my degree at my college graduation. I want you to be able to stop worrying about mine and Adam's futures when we get real careers. I want you to celebrate with me my big promotion. I want you to give me away to my future husband. I want you to be at the hospital for the birth of your grandchildren. I want you to be there at all of life’s events--both big and small.
It kills me inside to see you become so weak and exhausted. You’re not only drained of energy, but it seems as if you’re slowly becoming drained of life.
My adorable parents at a wedding.
The love you have for your family inspires me. You’ve taught me to value family over everything. You’ve showed me that although diamonds and pearls are dandy and pleasant, one has absolutely nothing of true value if s/he doesn’t have his/her family. The fact that you’re always willing to literally drop whatever you’re doing in order to help out Mom, or anyone you care about for the matter, warms my heart.
My father with my little cousin, Raymond.
You’re the kindest man around. Everyone always tells me how they’ve never seen you anything but happy. I’m constantly reminded of how nice you are and how you always have a huge smile on your face when they see you.
You are the reason I work my ass off in everything that I do. I thrive for success in hopes of eventually proving to you that the adversity our family has faced and continues to face will someday pay off--that you and Mom have succeeded in providing a better life for your kids than the two of you could ever dream of acquiring. As a second-generation Asian American and a first-generation college student, my life goal is to simply make you and Mom proud--to be able to take care of the both of you as you both have taken care of me.
You have frequently told me that you’re "not smart." Even though you never went to college or received proper schooling, you’re one of the brightest people I know. Being able to speak, read, and write in three different languages fluently is a difficult, yet extraordinary, task to master.
When I was younger, Mom was the parent I was closer to. But as I got older, and when you were first diagnosed with cancer, we started to become closer, as you officially became disabled and Mom began to face the struggles of being the only breadwinner of our household. Although your cancer stirred up nothing but turmoil in our lives, I'm grateful for it in the sense that our relationship, as a result, became stronger than ever. You were the one who attended all of my banquets and recognition dinners with me. You were the one who comforted me when I found my first lump back when I was sixteen. You were the one who convinced me not to worry about having breast cancer, even though Mommy and Aunt Van have had it. You were the one who took me to my first surgery when I had to get five lumps removed. You were always the one who drove me to and from the airport when I went on trips by myself. You were the one who helped move me out of our home and into my dorm. You’ve said to me a few times that you’re “not number one.” But to me, you are.
Note to self: get Adam to upload/share family pictures. Also, take more pictures with family.
You are my hero. You’re the most incredible dad and I am truly blessed that you are my father.
Thank you for always being there, whether I need you or not. Thank you for letting me do the things I enjoy and accepting me the way I am, as well as the mistakes I make. Thank you for being the best dad ever. Thank you for everything.

I love you. And although I’m growing up, I’ll always be your little girl.

Here is a little something to remind all of us to better appreciate our parents exactly as they are:

No comments:

Post a Comment