Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Purple Hibiscus: What Now?

When I finished reading The Purple Hibiscus, I was plopped on one of the cushioned armchairs, with my feet kicked up on the small black table in front of me, in the first floor of the UGLi. Closing the book, I sat up, placing my feet on the ground, feeling a bit disappointed. Even with all of the chatter of other students surrounding my head, it was one of those moments where my thoughts grew loud and my heart grew quiet. I thought to myself, Wow. That's all?


Although it was expected from her, I wasn't too thrilled to discover that Beatrice grew distant from everyone, becoming apathetic to her physical appearance and towards those once close to her. I was disappointed to find a stoic Jaja, one who let his jail time alter the defiant, lighthearted teenager he once was. I guess it's a part of growing up. Gone are the days where you had not a single care in the world. The days in which you were curious about everything. The days where you could run freely and truly live in the moment. Three years in the slammer and your happiness slowly slips away from the teeny cell you're locked up in, finding another, more enjoyable, environment to occupy.


I was, however, pleased with Kambili's final state. As I reached the end, I noticed how even though she matured into the girl she could only dream of being, she still stayed true to herself. She stayed true to herself in the sense that she still possessed qualities of an introvert. She still wonders, she still hopes, she still observes the world through a microscopic viewpoint. She notices the little things, often noting the scenery around her during every event, particularly the nature and the type of silence that dwells. Although I would've liked to see Kambili with Father Amadi, I'm accepting of the fact that the two could never get married and start a family. That's the thing with first loves. They show you that you're capable of doing things you never imagined possible, proving to you you're more than you think you're worth. They show you how to look at things in a whole new light. They teach you how to accept yourself for your flaws and your traits and to accept others for the individuals they are. They teach you how to love. You'll always carry a part of them wherever you go, but you know in your heart, you two simply just can't be.


Adichie concludes the novel with, "Above, clouds like dyed cotton wool hang low, so low I feel I can reach out and squeeze the moisture from them. The new rains will come down soon." Despite the fact that I was a little let down, I think she ended the novel perfectly. Kambili finally realizes that although she has no control of what happens in life, she can, in fact, control her attitude and how she reacts. The last sentence embodies what Kambili had waited all her life for: a metamorphosis.


*Side note: I'm not gonna lie, when I read the last sentence, I immediately thought of the Hilary Duff song, "Come Clean." Yes, I was a big Hilary Duff fan back in the day. Judge me.


No comments:

Post a Comment